The application period for our 2013-2014 Social Venture Accelerator has closed, and we will soon be announcing our new Fellows. Thank you to all who applied!
Social innovators are creative, visionary individuals with an eye on the city’s most pressing social, economic, and environmental problems. But for a social venture to reach financial sustainability and social impact targets, entrepreneurs need access to networks and hands-on support as they build their strategies for change. Here at Propeller, we support early-stage social ventures through our Social Venture Accelerator Program, a 10-month fellowship that connects change-makers with resources to make change faster.
We have space, skills, support, staff,
Propeller provides its Accelerator Fellows with access to the following:
- A co-working office and meeting space (with wi-fi, printing, and coffee) in our vibrant Incubator Facility
- A network of over 150 pro bono professionals with expertise in accounting, finance, graphic design, marketing, law, and more
- A paid one-on-one consultant who becomes part of your team and works one-on-one with you throughout the program
- Intensive policy support for solutions that require advocacy
- Propeller staff who make key introductions to potential funders, customers, advocates, and financing partners
You’ll be in good company.
A key asset of the Accelerator Program is peer support. Accelerator Fellows come with diverse skill sets and share a passion for social change. Here’s a list of what just a few of our current fellows are working on:
- Launching a cooperative for Vietnamese farmers affected by the BP oil spill
- Delivering healthy school lunch to over 20% of public school children in Orleans Parish
- Organizing boat and kayak tours through Louisiana’s endangered wetlands
- Restoring blighted and vacant land with community flower gardens and produce farms
We achieve measurable results.
At Propeller, we emphasize a double-bottom line–creating both social and economic impact. In the past two years, we have incubated 21 ventures and have seen a 2300% Return on Investment. Our Accelerator Fellows have created 72 full- and part-time jobs and generated $5.4 million in external financing, revenues, and grants. Read more about our social impact here..
Propeller and our Accelerator Fellows have also gained local and national media attention from outlets including the NYTimes, Huffington Post, Forbes, Entrepreneur magazine, The Times-Picayune, The Advocate, New Orleans City Business, and more.
The ventures currently in our 10-month Accelerator Program are reaching, and in some cases, exceeding, their financial and social impact goals. Our vast network of professionals offer mentorship and consulting that will help you do the same. Video produced by Kenie Huber, Teach for America.
Propeller’s Accelerator program was a boost at a critical time of growth for Resurrection After Exoneration. While we had had early successes, Propeller helped us develop the infrastructure we needed to grow our venture and, as a result, have a greater impact on our constituents.
John Thompson, Resurrection After Exoneration
Who Is Eligible?
- The ideal candidate is a high-potential, early-stage social entrepreneur who has needs in specific areas with interest in external assistance to accelerate his/her venture. Anyone with an idea for a for-profit, non-profit, or hybrid can apply. Ventures must have existed for no more than two years with paid staff, or have no more than two full-time staff.
- ARE YOU: Realistic that social change is hard, but accountable to achieving measurable results?
- ARE YOU: Passionate about implementing solutions that benefit disadvantaged populations or the environment?
- ARE YOU: Committed to bringing your idea to fruition?
- ARE YOU: Creative about solving problems and implementing solutions?
- ARE YOU: Eager to apply strong business principles that can scale your venture?