Social Venture Fund
Our Social Venture Fund is a $1 million loan fund that provides loans between $20,000 and $100,000 to BIPOC entrepreneurs, as well as businesses and nonprofits tackling disparities in the areas of community economic development, education, food, health, and water.
The fund is currently subscribed, and we are not taking applications at this time.
- Loan sizes: $20,000-$100,000
- Repayment terms: 2-7 years
- Uses: commercial real estate purchases, renovation costs, operations, working capital, and/or furniture, fixtures, and equipment (FF&E)
The Social Venture Fund is open to all BIPOC entrepreneurs and social entrepreneurs headquartered in Orleans Parish. Propeller’s Social Venture Propeller will prioritize solutions in the following areas:
- Community Economic Development: BIPOC entrepreneurs establishing or operating brick-and-mortar businesses along the S. Broad commercial corridor (from Napoleon Ave to Tulane Ave, between S Galvez St and Jefferson Davis Pkwy)
- Education: High quality early childcare facilities; transportation, chronic absenteeism, suspension/dropout rates, wraparound services in K-12; workforce development for youth aged 16-24
- Food: Access, affordability, and consumption of healthy foods for deliberately under-resourced communities; local, environmentally sustainable food economy; equity in the food industry
- Health: Access and affordability of health care for deliberately under-resourced populations, including BIPOC, children/maternal health, those experiencing mental illnesses, those experiencing homelessness, incarcerated or formerly incarcerated population
- Water: Coastal restoration; urban water retention and quality; maritime industries and ports; fisheries
How to Apply
- Info Session (Optional): Attend an info session to learn more about the Social Venture Fund and get hands-on help completing your application, assembling your financials, and developing your budget.
- Initial Application: Tell us a little about yourself and what you’re looking for in our initial application.
- Full Application: Fill out a full application. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call, email, or schedule a time to meet with us.
- Meet with Us: Meet with a Propeller representative who will review your completed application with you.
- Due Diligence: Once you have submitted a complete application, your application will undergo due diligence with Foundation for Louisiana.
- Loan Term Review: Propeller, Social Venture Fund investment committee, and the Foundation for Louisiana Board of Directors will review and approve loan terms, including interest rate, amount, duration, and your proposed impact of your project.
Bhoomi Cane Water
A graduate of Propeller's Growth Accelerator, Bhoomi applied to the Social Venture Fund to build their sales pipeline. Since receiving a loan from the Social Venture Fund, Bhoomi closed an addition $750,000 round of financing and are working to expand relationships with distributors across the Southeast.Learn More