Eco-intelligence, creativity, and innovative philanthropy unite at Goods that Matter, a design for good company based in New Orleans. We are committed to creating eco friendly products in the U.S. that also give back to our world’s most pressing social and environmental needs. Matter is a product design & consulting studio, uniquely focused on raising awareness and funding initiatives that advance social change. A portion of all proceeds flow to causes that impact the health, happiness, and sustainability of our communities both locally and for our neighbors around the world. Matter makes the world a better place by creating products and collaborations that matter.
Tippy Tippens is the Founder and Chief Eternal Optimist of Goods that Matter. She is a social entrepreneur, designer, and educator who is passionate about building sustainable and equitable growth; making the objects that we live with, work for us instead of against us; and fighting climate change. She is honored to be in the GOOD 100, 2013, named as one of 100 people pushing the world forward.
In September of 2010, she moved from Brooklyn to New Orleans after the BP Oil Spill in order to create BirdProject Soap. Matter got its start on Kickstarter & Tippy is a 2011 alumni of Propeller’s Fellowship & New Ventures Accelerator program. She was inspired to form the company upon developing BirdProject, where she saw the need for socially inspired eco-products that poetically fulfill our basic needs.
Her additional professional experiences have included: designing faucets for Kohler, freelancing for lighting, furniture, graphic, architectural, and wayfinding firms as well as designing and making home furnishings for over ten years. She holds a Masters Degree in Industrial Design from Pratt Institute and a B.F.A. from Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Certified as a Benefit Corporation (1 of 6 in Louisiana)
- $31,118 donated to wetland restoration, oil spill cleanup, disaster relief, education, and literacy groups.
- 24 Recycled / Green Materials
- 11 Social Groups Receiving Funding & Awareness
- 7 Environmental Groups Receiving Funding & Awareness
- 5 Disaster Relief Groups Receiving Funding & Awareness
- 14 Artisans and Local Makers Supported
- In Partnership with Learn to Live, a custom First Aid Kit raises funds for LTL’s healthcare clinics and clean water initiatives in Indonesia, Laos, and Africa
- In Partnership with Birthmark Doulas, 100% of proceeds from Blankets & Notebooks go towards building their new, independent Birthing Center in New Orleans
“Propeller’s knowledge and resources were able to reduce my learning curve in the business world. I would never have been to execute a wholesale strategy or create a solidified business plan and marketing strategy without them.”
Founder & Director, Matter ('12)