16 June 2021
(New Orleans, LA) - Entrepreneurs will pitch their strategies to improve how our region lives with water and compete for over $15,000 in total cash prizes at PitchNOLA: Water 2021. This free showcase event will happen virtually on Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 6:00pm CST in partnership with the City of New Orleans, New Orleans Business Alliance, Thrive New Orleans, YouthForce NOLA, and supported through the $5 million New Orleans AdvancingCities collaborative award from JPMorgan Chase. Competing finalists received pitch coaching, financial coaching, and design support in preparation for Thursday’s event.
View below for the complete list of growth and startup finalists:
- Glass Half Full (Franziska Trautmann & Max Steitz) recycles New Orleans' glass into sand and cullet used for disaster relief, eco-construction, new glass products, and so much more. Since its inception in 2020, Glass Half Full has diverted 800,000 pounds of glass from our landfills and reimagining recycling as an inclusive movement to build community and benefit our planet.
- Ubuntu (Greg Nixon & Nicole Nixon) is a trusted contractor for full service stormwater management projects and highly motivated by technology and its mission towards urban resilience.
- Glory Gardens (Reedy Brooks) designs and builds ecologically regenerative gardens and green spaces that reduce flooding and contribute to the health and wealth of households by providing access to produce that is sustainably grown, nutrient dense, and marketable. Their focus is to center gardens as an impactful tool for implementing a holistic approach to improving the lives of individuals and the health of communities.
- Regenerative Urban Agriculture by Grown On Urban Farms (Simond Menasche) addresses blight through the implementation of stormwater management systems that support urban agriculture, aid in the remediation of soil, and in turn enable more food cultivation and support for the local community.
- Urbanscapes Design+Build Youth Program (John Coyle) is a multi-disciplinary collaborative of educators, artists, activists, designers, and builders. Their mission is to balance the connection between the urban landscape of New Orleans and its natural environment, while teaching the next generation of green leaders to continue this work. Urbanscapes designs, builds and maintains innovative water management systems in urban landscapes for homeowners and public spaces.
Audience members play a key role at PitchNOLA: Water 2021 and will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite finalists in both the Growth and Start-up Audience Favorite Awards.
Over the past decade, PitchNOLA has awarded over $200,000 in grants to entrepreneurs. PitchNOLA winners have opened second and first locations, hit over $1 million in annual revenue, and received notable attention in the Washington Post, The Guardian, the Times-Picayune, The Advocate, WWNO, and WWL-TV.
Propeller is a New Orleans-based 501c3 nonprofit that grows and supports entrepreneurs to tackle social and environmental disparities. Our vision is an inclusive and thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem in New Orleans that responds to community needs and creates the conditions for an equitable future. GoPropeller.org