19 March 2018
18 businesses will participate in Propeller’s Growth Accelerator, a 3-month intensive program to increase each venture’s revenue and financing, while expanding capacity to tackle structural inequities in New Orleans.
Propeller selected businesses who have demonstrated traction and bring promising approaches to tackle disparities New Orleanians face in the areas of food, water, health, and education. Since 2011, Propeller’s Accelerator programs have supported 179 businesses, collectively generating over $100mm in revenue and financing.
Businesses will work one-on-one with seasoned mentors including Lisa Atia, Senior Creative Brand Strategist at Blavity and Scott Price, whose experience includes 23 years of leadership with Whole Foods Market. Two for-profit businesses in the program will be eligible to receive up to $50,000 in equity investment through Propeller’s partnership with the New Orleans Startup Fund.
Propeller 2018 Growth Ventures:
- Bellegarde Bakery is a commercial bakery that actively promotes the integrity of flavor, craftsmanship, and sourcing of identity preserved whole grains that come from our region.
- Bhoomi develops cane water based cold-pressed beverages, which are refreshing, hydrating and naturally delicious.
- Cupcake Fairies is owned by a native New Orleanian sister duo creating delectable custom confections best known for their appearance on the Food Network's Cupcake Wars.
- Ma Momma's House of Cornbread, Chicken, and Waffles (MMH) is a family-owned restaurant specializes in southern comfort foods with recipes handed down from the owners’ mothers, grandmothers, aunts and uncles.
- Recirculating Farms Coalition is a collaborative group of farmers, educators, health and food activists using research, training and advocacy to support communities in creating eco-efficient farms with programs to grow local, accessible, fresh food, advance overall health and wellness, and create stable green jobs.
- EcoUrban Landscaping offers full-service landscape design, installation, and maintenance services to residential and commercial clients, using eco-friendly products and practices.
- Home by Hand is a 501 (c)3 non-profit, single-family, affordable housing developer that improves neighborhoods and builds the skills and family assets of low-to-moderate income households by employing the best practices in self-help housing, homebuyer training, community revitalization and stormwater management.
- Teaching Responsible Earth Education (T.R.E.E.) provides comprehensive curriculum-based life science and earth education programs in outdoor classroom for children, parents, and teachers throughout the New Orleans metropolitan area.
- Urban Conservancy catalyzes equitable practices and policies related to the urban built environment and local economy through research, education, and advocacy.
- The Water Collaborative of Greater New Orleans is an interdisciplinary community of practice, bringing together engineers, landscape architects, scientists, teachers, planners and community leaders to confront the challenge of "living with water" in Southeast Louisiana.
- The Doc Griggs Foundation helps New Orleanians improve their health through healthy lifestyles, movement, and real-life health education.
- Magnolia Yoga Studio is minority- owned and operated business promoting health and wellness through affordable beginner’s yoga classes to a diverse population in downtown New Orleans.
- Mymee's Digital Therapeutics program reverses the symptoms of chronic autoimmune disease through data analytics and health coaching, reducing or eliminating the need for expensive drugs.
- Playworks Louisiana leverages the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school to create a place for every kid to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills.
- Juma Ventures strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education, and financial capability for youth across America.
- KID smART engages children in dynamic, creative and rigorous learning through the arts.
- Overcoming Racism provides training and consulting services to help guide schools and teachers through the process of developing anti-racist educators.
- Start the Adventure in Reading (STAIR) improves the reading skills and self-esteem of lower elementary school students across greater New Orleans.
Propeller is committed to supporting a diverse community of entrepreneurs. This year’s Growth Accelerator class is made up of 56% women-owned businesses and 44% male-owned businesses, as well as 61% business owned by entrepreneurs of color and 39% White-owned businesses.