Propeller Fellows innovate entrepreneurial solutions that make a big difference for underserved populations & the environment.
Applications for the 2014-2015 Social Venture Accelerator are now closed.
Meet our current Social Venture Accelerator Fellows here!
We Offer Space, Skills, Support and Staff
2014-2015 Program Dates: September 3, 2014 — June 30, 2015
This 10-month fellowship connects change-makers of New Orleans with resources necessary to make measurable impact and reach financial sustainability.
As a Propeller Fellow, you receive access to the following:
- A paid consultant who works one-on-one with you throughout the program
- A network of over 150 pro bono professionals with expertise in accounting, finance, graphic design, marketing, law and more
- A co-working office and meeting space (with Wi-Fi, printing and coffee) in our vibrant Incubator facility
- Intensive policy support for solutions that require advocacy
- Propeller staff who make key introductions to potential funders, customers, advocates and financing partners
Here’s what we look for
1) Viable and Innovative Solutions within our Target Sectors
Priority is given to solutions within the four sectors described below. Alternative ideas outside of these sectors are still encouraged to apply.
2) Potential for Significant Social Impact
The challenge is clear; your strategy is sound; scalability is possible.
3) Financial Sustainability
We expect reasonable and validated market analysis that supports your business model. Ventures with earned revenue streams receive priority in selection.
4) Leadership & Dedication
You have the vision to motivate, the experience to guide you, and the grit to get it done. Applicants must devote a minimum of 20 hours per week towards their venture.
Pitch your solutions within these priority sectors
1) Healthy Food Access & Local Food Economy
Affordability and accessibility of healthy foods, increased healthy food consumption, building a robust local food economy (e.g. local food processors, producers, distributors, and retailers).
2) Water Management
Flood mitigation and water retention (e.g. permeable pavements and rain barrels), water quality (e.g. affordable water monitoring tools), and coastal erosion. Up to three selected Water Fellows will also receive $5,000 in startup funding, as part of the 5th Annual Water Challenge, a collaborative initiative between Propeller: A Force for Social Innovation, the Greater New Orleans Foundation, and The Idea Village.
3) Public Health
Improved service delivery coordination, insurance utilization, health services transportation, mobile health apps, increased recreation/activity, and direct health services.
4) Public Education
School transportation, education and technology, and special education.
Ready for Acceleration?
Download a complete program overview: including dates, eligibility and selection criteria.
We achieve measurable results
50 new ventures incubated in three years
Over 100 full- and part-time jobs created
More than $20 million in external financing, revenues, and grants
- The Healthy School Food Collaborative (‘12) administers over $6.5 million in federal reimbursements to bring healthy school meals to 39% of all public schools in New Orleans.
- Justice & Accountability Center of New Orleans (‘12) has served over 1,000 clients for non-violent criminal record expungements to facilitate successful societal re-entry and reduced recidivism.
- TrueSchool (‘13) has garnered significant national contracts to reach over 200 teachers through its innovative applied research, design and professional development studios, which will impact over 6,000 students.
- Griffin Law Group (‘13) has won over $300,000 in benefits for disabled children.
- Birthmark (‘12) has provided doula services to over 300 women (half of whom received services for free), is operating out of South Broad Community Health, and plans to open New Orleans’ first birthing center in 2015.
We reach a local and national audience
Propeller and our Accelerator Fellows have also gained local and national media attention from outlets including the The New York Times, TIME, Wired, The Huffington Post, Forbes, Entrepreneur, The Times-Picayune, The New Orleans Advocate and more.
Our Alumni: Read about the missions of our graduated entrepreneurs.
Testimonials: Hear what graduates have to say about the program.
Our Impact: Learn how we’ve moved the needle on the city’s toughest challenges.
All the Details: Download a complete program overview.
The ventures currently in our 10-month Social Venture Accelerator are reaching, and in some cases, exceeding, their financial and social impact goals. Our vast network of professionals offer mentorship and consulting that will help you do the same.
“Hands down, Where Y’Art would not be where it is today without the support of the Propeller staff and it’s network of rockstar professionals . . . Our experience has been extraordinary and I would recommend any social entrepreneur starting a business to apply. I am inspired by their generosity and willingness to go beyond what is expected of them. I am proud to call them advisors, believers and friends.”
Co-Founder, Where Y'Art ('15)
- To read more or determine eligibility, download the overview program below.